"Something opens our wings. Something makes boredom and hurt disappear. Someone fills the cup in front of us: We taste only sacredness. " ~ Rumi

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Torn Between Two Worlds ~ The Past and The Future

 

 Photo courtesy of Robb North

I am a woman in conflict ~ torn between two worlds. How I LOVE LOVE LOVE everything vintage. I LOVE history and antique/vintage clothes & books & furnishings & art. I am particularly drawn to the mid 19th century for some reason. I LOVE the things of the "everyday rural woman" from that period ~ crisp vintage white linens, brown baskets, white ironstone pictures & platters, eggs in a nest, brown paper purchases tied with string, wildflowers. The simple life, how I adore it and strive for it. How I sometimes wish I had lived in the past.




Photo courtesy of Ted Fines

And yet...the universe beckons me...teases me...tempts me with wonders beyond my imaginings.



 Star Cluster in Nebula NGC 3603
Credit: NASA, ESA, and the Hubble Heritage (STScI/AURA)-ESA/Hubble Collaboration

Darling Husband calls me his "sweet nerd" & "precious geek". He catches me watching the Science Channel late into the night. I get all breathless thinking about quasars & nebulas. I am fascinated with string theory and the possibility of parallel universes. And there is nothing sexier than time travel.....



I LOVE science fiction! Ever since Jr. High School I have read sci-fi books and watched Star Trek. And oh! Those 1950's "B" movies about outer space.....mmmmmm.....love 'em!!! I love thinking about the future and thinking about the possibility of discovering other worldly life.

So...I will keep visiting museums & watching Little House on the Prairie & collecting white ironstone & vintage linens. But I will also continue to be caught up in the wonder of the vastness of the universe and be awed by the fact that for some reason I was born into it...for a purpose...part of the grand design. Kinda makes me want to be more awesome than I already am. LOL (Laugh out loud).
 

No comments:

Post a Comment